OK, so nothing groundbreaking this week (is it ever?). We are looking at some of my favourite plain white T‑shirts. Sometimes you need really good basics, and a really good plain white T‑shirt is often the starting point for any outfit (along with your LMD trick) – get that right and you’re halfway there. As a fashion magpie I have often been drawn to brighter colours, patterns and a bit of pizazz (or however you spell that), but as I get older I find myself veering towards a more classic look. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still break out the pizazz every so often but on a daily basis I reach for the simpler pieces.
One of the most important basics you can have in your wardrobe is a straightforward, plain white T‑shirt. Of course you probably don’t need six of them, but I have all these myself so I thought it might be useful to talk through why I like them and, as ever, some outfit inspiration to go with it.
ARKET HEAVYWEIGHT WHITE T SHIRT
I’ve recommended this one many times in the past and with good reason. The heavyweight nature of it means it has slightly more structure than your average T‑shirt: it holds its shape, it washes well and it requires minimal, if any, ironing. Take your regular size. In fact all of these T‑shirts today I would say are true to size. I will be wearing the Arket tee with a lightweight suit at some point soon: I have this one from Free People, but I’m also loving this one from Jigsaw and this from ME+EM. A great alternative to a dress for summer events.
- Arket heavyweight cotton t shirt
- Sezane natural textile and Leather Milo bag
- Jigsaw Italian pinstripe blazer
- Jigsaw Italian pinstripe tailored trousers
- Adidas Samba OG trainers
RAPANUI ORGANIC BOXY WHITE T SHIRT
A fairly new brand for me, Rapanui make really great, reasonably priced basics and everything is vegan and sustainably made. I mean, what’s not to like? Personally, I favour their boxy, slightly cropped T‑shirt as I like the way it sits on the waist without having to be tucked in. Good to note though: it’s not so cropped as to show the belly. The days of a ‘tummy top’ are over for me, I’m afraid. Back in the day, I loved a very tight crop T‑shirt. I’d buy rock band tees from the kids’ department in H&M, customise them with a bedazzler and wear them to the office with low-slung 7 For All Mankind boot-cut jeans and not a care in the world, apart from maybe what we were doing that night, and how many hours’ sleep I could clinically survive on. Ahh, the confidence of youth.
- Rapanui boxy fit organic cotton t shirt
- H&M cotton blend stripe shopper bag
- Aligne Greta denim midi skirt
- ME + EM fluid military summer shacket
- Arizona Love quilt leopard print sandals
RAEY COTTON CASHMERE BLEND T SHIRT
If it’s a more elevated basic you’re looking for, the Raey cashmere blend T‑shirt is the one for you. It’s SO soft, hangs beautifully and feels expensive. That’s because it is, but I suppose you do get what you pay for. I wash this one on a gentle cycle. She doesn’t go in with the undies and the kids’ socks, she gets treated with the respect she deserves.
- Raey cotton cashmere blend t shirt
- Fat Face Paris sunglasses
- Abercrombie & Fitch linen blend embroidered shirt
- & Other Stories wide high waist linen trousers
- Birkenstock white Milano sandals
& OTHER STORIES RELAXED FIT T SHIRT
Just a really good fit: not clingy, but not oversized, and nice soft cotton, washes well. I have this in black too. They seem to come in and out of stock fairly regularly and & Other Stories do them all year round so they’re obviously a good seller for them. Wear with your favourite jeans and a nice cardi. I finally caved and got a pair of these Autry trainers recently (30% off at Coggles with my Code KATE30). If you’re in the market for a simple, but slightly chunkier pair of trainers, I can recommend. Comfortable straight off the bat without any ‘breaking in’ required, which really should be the law with all trainers.
- & Other Stories relaxed fit t shirt
- Oliver Bonas green cat eye sunglasses
- John Lewis weave green leather handbag
- Paige vintage Colette jeans
- Alex Mill striped cashmere cardigan
- Autry Medallist leather trainers (use code KATE30 for 30% off)
UNIQLO AIRISM COTTON OVERSIZED T SHIRT
If oversized is more your bag, this one from Uniqlo is my top choice. The sleeves are longer and the fit is much looser but it’s still a really good shape. It’s part of the AIRism range which means it feels cooler in the heat. Don’t ask me how, but it does actually work. I have a couple of AIRism vests too, and although it seems counterproductive to wear more layers in the heat, they do actually help stop you sweating through your clothes! Believe me, that can be a real issue when you’re perimenopausal.
- Uniqlo Airism cotton oversized t shirt
- Monica Vinader Deia large gold hoop earrings (use code KATEH20MV for 20% off)
- Gucci horsebit 1955 mini bag
- Alex Mill recycled denim straight leg cargo trousers
- Matalan light wash denim shacket
- Hudson Arabella tan fishermans sandals
SEZANE CONRAD ORGANIC COTTON T SHIRT
Finally, because I’m obsessed with Sézane, I had to include their cotton Conrad T‑shirt. Full disclosure: I only have this in black and navy, not white, but I’m sure it will be just as good as the darker colours. PLUS, and this is a real PLUS if you’re anything like me, you can have your T‑shirt embroidered for no extra cost, and we all know I LOVE a good monogram. Side note on these Air & Grace gold heels: I have it on good authority from two of my friends that they are THE most comfortable ‘going out’ shoes, ever. Help you dance all night, apparently.
- Sezane organic cotton Conrad t shirt
- Monica Vinader snake chain necklace
- Anya Hindmarch gold leather clutch bag
- & Other Stories flared denim jeans
- M&S Per Una tan suede jacket
- Air & Grace Dancing Queen gold metallic sandals
I hope this has been useful for you in the quest for the perfect plain white T‑shirt.