Welcome to the new season now (part 2). This week, 22nd September to be exact, sees the official start of autumn. So we are very much within our rights to be looking at the new season now. As mentioned last week, this is my favourite of all the fashion seasons, so I had to spread the love over two posts.
I also very much enjoy the falling leaves, the changing colours, the orange sunsets, the fact that you can see into other people’s houses because they’ve turned the lights on but not got round to shutting their curtains yet. Please tell me it’s not just me who’s that nosey. I also usually enjoy putting the heating on for the first time after summer, but we had a leak this week, the ‘cupboard of doom’ became the ‘puddle of doom’ and now I’m fearful that once the heating goes on the whole house might explode. Autumn, it seems, is also a good time to call in a plumber…
Is there anything nicer than the feeling of slipping on a really cosy cashmere jumper? We will get into knitwear over the following weeks, I’m sure, but if you’re in the market for just one new sweater this season, then you’ve got to make it a cashmere one. Cos do this one every year. I know, because I’ve bought it twice IN THE SAME COLOUR over the past three years, because I’m an idiot and if I love something that much I like to have a spare in reserve in case anything happens to the first one. Anyway, I’m glad I did as the navy has sold out already, but they still have it in cream, camel and orange and I can attest it’s an excellent jumper. Oversized, so go down a size if you don’t like it too big.
1. Cos oversized cashmere jumper
2. Warehouse weave detail tote bag
3. Hush quilted jersey jacket
4. YMC Market Aquilla twill trousers
5. JW Anderson chain embellished suede and shearling loafers
LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE
OK, so this won’t be for everyone, but if you thought the pioneer look from last year was a flash-in-the-pan trend, then think again. It’s back for another year. I, for one, am very glad about this because I bought a lovely corduroy dress from Iris Fashion last year at the Daily Dress Edit pop up (which is back next week. I’ve added the details on the newsletter for those of you London-based) that I never got to wear because, as we all know, the UK went into lockdown for pretty much the entirety of winter. Let’s really hope we get to wear our nice dresses out of the house this time around.
1. Aspiga Victoria organic corduroy dress
2. By Iris Shae floral dress
3. Carvela shock lace up ankle boots
4. Whistles Daphne plum ankle boots
This was just an excuse to show you this great blouse from Per Una at Marks & Spencer. It’s just as nice in the flesh. Definite Isabel Marant vibes at M&S prices. If prints are not your thing, it also comes in a plain cream colour version. Remember when Per Una was a complete no-go area? Well, not anymore. It changed a while back, and now it’s full of excellent designs instead of waterfall cardigans and ill-fitting linen slacks. Get on it.
1. Per Una cotton printed lace insert blouse
2. Mulberry Alexa leather satchel bag
3. Meadows quince cardigan
4. Cos straight fit corduroy chinos
5. Shoe The Bear Rebel leather lace up boots
LITTLE BIT OF LEATHER
It’s alway this time of year that I dig out the old leather trousers. It’s also around this time that I wonder whether they should be cleaned at some point? If you have leather trousers, have you ever had them cleaned? Am I a complete filth monster for just putting them on the washing line outside and ‘letting the air at them’ instead of actually taking them to the dry cleaners? Maybe don’t answer that…
1. Holzweiler Peach print T shirt
2. Rains buckle rolltop backpack
3. Hush animal print relaxed cardigan
4. Hush leather joggers
5. Adidas Ozweego cream trainers
CASUAL AUTUMN STYLE
I’ve mentioned the trench coat before, many times. Again, M&S has a good one going on this year, but there’s also the khaki car coat for colder evenings. And how good are these White Stuff leopard print shoes? Another company that has changed in recent times and is definitely worth a revisit.
1. Warehouse 1976 crew knit jumper
2. & Other Stories colour block leather handbag
3. M&S belted longline car coat
4. Warehouse turn up hem straight leg jeans
5. White Stuff leopard lace up shoes
FLASH OF FUSCHIA
Ok, this one isn’t particularly autumnal, I grant you, but I just wanted to include these boots from Carvela as I love the flash of fuchsia on the sole. They look totally designer and would be great with an otherwise all-black ensemble. They are also made of rubber so can work as a welly alternative.
1. River Island embroidered chunky knit jumper
2. Jacquemus leather shoulder bag
3. Arket quilted shawl collar jacket
4. Weekday Zinc tailored pleat front trousers
5. Carvela Splash rubber ankle boots
I haven’t decided next weeks topic yet. But I’m being drawn to boots. We all love a good boot right?