I know it might not seem like it now, and I know I appear to be writing about the cold every bloody week, but soon enough (please, please, sooner than later) it will get warmer and we will be able to vacuum pack the puffer for a while and get out our nice spring jackets. A spring jacket will be required, unlike later in the year when we get the full ‘Phil Collins’ weather. Imagine that! The unbridled joy of leaving the house carefree and sans coat! Ok, we may never leave the house carefree, but you catch my drift.
This one is the antidote to last week’s trench post. For those who still can’t get past thinking they will look like Columbo, I bring you a selection of spring jackets in the hope there will be something here for everyone. Saying that, there’s a focus on the bomber jacket. Just because I really like them. I think they go very well with your wide-leg jeans too, and we all know how much I’m into them right now. I did have a rejig of my jeans drawer last weekend (I know, the excitement) and narrowed them down to 25 pairs. I thought this was a fairly hefty amount, but I got a message from one lady who said she had 79 pairs and couldn’t bear to part with a single one of them. It made me feel positively frugal about my denim drawer.
But we aren’t on about jeans this week, it’s jackets for the win. Let’s get into it…
CLASSIC BOMBER JACKET
Hands up who wishes they’d kept their classic bomber jacket circa 2001. My hand is up. I had a great one from Topshop, but it got sold about six years ago when I was going through a blazer phase. But you can’t hold on to everything, can you? Try telling that to the lady with 79 pairs of jeans. I have a small house and limited storage space, so I have to be selective about what I keep. Jackets are my weakness, though. I have them squirrelled away all over the place: under the bed, in my sons’ rooms, even in the bathroom cupboard. The right jacket can really make your outfit and I like to have options.
- Kin textured waffle cream cardigan
- Uniqlo striped long sleeve t shirt
- Classic Condors Italian leather orange bum bag
- ME + EM relaxed carpenter jeans
- Anine Bing Leon shell bomber jacket
- Adidas Rivalry low trainers
COTTON QUILTED JACKET
I love a cotton quilted jacket, and I’m just waiting for a run of a few days when it doesn’t rain or snow to get mine out. I was going to give a big-up to the new Doucer x Iris jumpsuit collaboration, but it looks like it sold out the day it came out! I’m still featuring it as, you never know, maybe because it was so popular they might get some more stock in. For alternatives, see the extra items below as always. A jumpsuit would go perfectly with a little patterned jacket and some comfortable, heeled ankle boots. I love these from Sezane, but I have it on good authority that these Rag and Bone ones are equally as comfortable if you want a lighter-coloured suede pair.
- & Other Stories droplet hoop earrings
- Souer leather cross body bag
- La Redoute quilted printed cotton jacket
- Doucer x By Iris light denim Sasha jumpsuit
- Rag and Bone Rover suede low heel boots
I’m sure we’ve all got a classic, western-style denim jacket in our wardrobe somewhere. It’s a summer staple; goes with everything. You can also wear it under your coat for now for an extra layer. This week I’ve had a look-out for some slightly quirkier options if you fancy something a little bit different. My favourite is this Marant-style number from ba&sh, but I’m also loving this utility-style version from M&S and this two-tone patched one on sale at Monsoon.
- Reiss square frame acetate sunglasses
- & Other Stories soft leather cross body bag
- Albaray paisley print ruffle detail dress
- ba&sh cropped padded denim jacket
- Anonymous Copenhagen Vasso suede slouch mid heel boots
Don’t panic! Your leather biker jacket is still cool. They’re coming in a more oversized form this season, but really no need to get a new one if you’ve got a perfectly acceptable one already. I am loving the leather bomber, though. It gives a more modern, minimalist look. Wear with all black and your favourite jeans (wide leg optional). Whistles and ME+EM have gorgeous, buttery leather bombers. Stradivarius has a cool, collared faux-leather version which is more purse-friendly.
- Monica Vinader double chain adjustable necklace
- Boden soft rib scoop neck top
- Ganni pillow small flap over bag
- Albaray light denim wide leg jeans
- Whistles Laura black leather bomber jacket
- Kin patch black suede western boots
TWEED STYLE JACKET
If you like to be a bit smarter but you’re not sure of a blazer, then a nice, neat tweed number could be the one for you. I will do a full blazer post soon, as I realise as I’m halfway through writing this that they haven’t made an appearance today. I bought this M&S jacket last summer, and am happy to report they’ve brought it back this season as it’s a very useful jacket indeed. Take your regular size.
- The Outnet ba&sh pointelle knit jumper
- Isabel Marant gold tone bone earrings
- M&S Tweed style collarless jacket
- Boden high rise, wide leg jeans
- Oliver Bonas Mary Jane double buckle gold tone shoes
A FEW MORE BOMBER JACKETS
Because I told you I like them, plus I just saw that The Outnet has quite a few good Bella Freud jumpers on at 40% off so it would be rude not to share that intel. They’d go great with a navy bomber.
- The Outnet Bella Freud merino wool blend striped jumper
- Arket red leather crossbody bag
- Hush Topaz oversized bomber jacket
- Seasalt Cornwall cotton seersucker trousers
- Adidas Munchen Navy & Red stripe trainers
Now, if we could all collectively manifest a decent run of weather, I’d be very grateful…