I was going to call this ‘sweater weather’, but I don’t think we’ve reached that moment yet here in the UK. Plus this isn’t just about sweaters, I’ve got all sorts of knits for you today.
I was in Dallas last week for a conference. It was a ‘content creator conference’. They are a different breed over there, let me tell you. Big hair, big lips, LOTS of pattern and colour! The British contingent stood out with our shorter hair, our muted palette and our wide-eyed wonder at the amount of glittery cowboy boots on show. Was I tempted to buy a pair? Come on, you know I wasn’t going to come back without some, I’m a walking cliché after all. But I went for a sensible black pair AND I’ve already worn them in London without feeling like I’m off to a rodeo, so I consider that a win.
More on those later. Meanwhile let’s dive into some knitwear…
If you’re in the market for a classic wool jumper that isn’t going to cost the earth, your first port of call should really be Uniqlo. I love this new volume sleeve one, but the basic £30 lambswool crew neck is a wardrobe staple. I actually buy mine in a medium from the men’s department as I like the fit of those better, plus they have them in different colours.
- Uniqlo U premium lambswool volume sweater
- Acne Studios Canada oversized wool scarf
- Whistles Hollie button front jeans
- & Other Stories soft leather cross body bag
- Nooki Design Free Bird reversible embroidered gilet
- Air & Grace Jessa leather lace up boots
THE KNITTED SKIRT
Something new for me. I haven’t taken the plunge yet, mainly because I’m waiting for this one from Sézane to come back in stock in the navy, but I think the knitted skirt/jumper co-ord could be a winner for this season. I like the look of knitted dresses like this but, with my inability to regulate my temperature these days, I can’t risk an item unless I can layer it. With the knitted skirt/jumper combo I can wear a T‑shirt or vest underneath and shed a layer if the sweats arrive. (TMI. I’m on HRT now and it has lowered my 30+ daily hot flushes to a more manageable 5 to 7, but they haven’t completely gone just yet.)
By the way, I have this Jigsaw coat in brown from 2020 and it’s my favourite. Maxi length, VERY good quality and fit. Highly recommend, especially if you’re over 5’6 and struggle to find good long coats.
- French Connection recycled roll neck jumper
- Jigsaw navy wool City maxi coat
- Hush Penny knitted midi skirt
- A.P.C faux leather tote bag
- H&M heeled Chelsea Boots
THE CUTE CARDIGAN
As per previous hot flush issue, the cardigan is very much your friend if you are also in this camp. Easy to remove or unbutton, as required. Or if you don’t need to layer, wear buttoned up with nothing underneath for a neater fit. I’m also loving the new look Barbour jacket designs. They’ve had just a few little tweaks, like the larger collar and slightly different shapes, but they’re so much cooler.
- Palava Vera navy jacquard cardigan
- Monica Vinader gemstone link earrings (use code KATEH20MV for 20% off)
- Barbour Woodhall quilted jacket
- River Island wide leg crop jeans
- Jigsaw leather Heckfield tote bag
- Vagabond suede Chelsea boots
LOVE A GOOD STRIPE
I mean, we had to, didn’t we? Does anyone ever really need another striped jumper? Doesn’t stop us, though, does it? And they’re all ever so slightly different, so that’s the justification. This is a look I might wear with my cowboy boots, but not until it’s cold enough to wear high denier tights. Currently, I’m wearing mine under wide-leg crop jeans and I’m really warming to them.
- & Other Stories relaxed alpaca knit jumper
- & Other Stories chunky chain link necklace
- Isabel Marant Luz small leather bag
- M&S crepe seam detail mini skirt
- Mango oversize wool coat
- Isabel Marant embroidered suede and leather boots
THROW ON A TANK
When it’s not quite cold enough for a jumper AND a jacket (because we like a jacket to finish off a look, don’t we?) then a tank top is a good option. I’d wear with loose, wide-leg jeans. I tried on these Hush ones last weekend and they are excellent. Really nice, soft denim and they feel more like trousers than jeans. I would say maybe size down though, as they came up a little bit big for me.
- La Redoute jacquard knit tank top
- Massimo Dutti woven leather bag
- & Other Stories relaxed cut t shirt
- Hush Lya pleat front wide leg jeans
- Massimo Dutti wool patch pocket jacket
- Adidas Gazelle OG trainers
TOO EARLY FOR FAIR ISLE?
I’m going to say it probably is, but it’s always good to be prepared for the months ahead. Shout out to these trousers too, another thing I tried on (and bought) last weekend when I was doing a style talk for John Lewis (which was a lot more fun than I had expected; I’m not known for my public speaking, but I really enjoyed it). They’re lovely and soft and the fit is spot on.
- John Lewis grey fair isle sweater
- Frenzy by Zara Marlz chain link hoop earrings
- John Lewis puppytooth wool blend trousers
- Anthropologie check leather cross body bag
- John Lewis puppytooth wool blend blazer
- Russell and Bromley Cleopatra chain link loafers
I’ve got a great beauty advent calendar giveaway coming up soon just for newsletter subscribers, so if you aren’t already on the list, you can subscribe here (it’s free).