Welcome to the bumper annual January sales post. If you’ve been around for a while, you will be well aware of my ‘5 rules for shopping the sales’, but for those of you who are new, here they are…
My 5 rules when shopping in the sales are to ask yourself these questions:
- Did you contemplate buying it at full price ?
- Does it fill a hole you have in your wardrobe ? (metaphorically)
- Will you wear it more than 10 times ?
- Do you love it and can’t live without it ?
- Can you afford it?
If you can say yes to most of these 5 rules, then go ahead. You shall buy and your life will be complete. Well, maybe not, but you might feel good for a while, and that’s basically the best we can hope for these days. Here’s my pick of the sales for you. All of these items are discounted, I have tried to pick things that still have a range of sizes left, but I’ve been working on this for a few days now so apologies if some are not available in your size. I haven’t put the prices or discounts on as sometimes they fluctuate, Like special extra discount days that maybe don’t apply at the time of writing, so always check out the homepage of the site for any extra deals just in case.
I finally succumbed to the lure of a ME + EM dress after coveting one for quite some time. I went for this flower field maxi dress that I very nearly bought full price a couple of months ago, so that ticked my major sales rule box. I also think the colours will work well into Spring so I envisage the cost per wear will be low by the end of 2022.
Boots are always something to look out for in the winter sales. We still have at least 3 more months of boot season left to go and if you go for a good hiker or Chelsea boot style then you know they will be classics for a long time to come. My favourite from this selection has to be these See by Chloe leather and suede hikers. They also come in black and have been around for a few years now, so you know they are a design staple.
1. See by Chloe tan suede leather hiker boots
2. Dune crepe sole leather Chelsea boots
3. Ganni rubber ankle boots
4. Ted Baker leather hiker boots
5. ME + EM lace-up leather boots
6. Grenson chunky Nanette leather hiker boots
TROUSERS, JEANS AND JUMPSUITS
Designer denim is a great thing to look for in the sales, as I for one, resent paying over the odds for jeans.The big sites like Matches, Net A Porter and MyTheresa usually have a good selection on offer. I can heartily recommend these White Stuff corduroy dungarees. I have had them for a few months and they get a lot of wear. They also wash well, which can be the downfall of some corduroy items. Take your regular size.
TRAINERS AND SHOES
No heels here, but a top pick of comfortable trainers and cool flats. If you’ve been been one of the (admittedly very few) people to admire my JW Anderson Thomas Cromwell shoes, then you’re in luck as most of them are on sale now! I still love mine and I feel like I’ve worn them enough this year to not be too cross that they are now discounted. Actually saying that, the classic black ones I have are still full price. Vindicated.
1. Boden Amber high top trainers
2. Veja Vegan white trainers
3. Isabel Marant Bresse leather hi top trainers
4. Vibi Venezia striped canvas Mary Jane flats
5. JW Anderson gold chain leopard slippers
6. Gianvito Rossi ribbon leather ballet flats
7. Office Formerly soft square Mary Jane flats
If you’ve had your eye on a Barbour jacket or an Isabel Marant blazer (both design classics) then you are in luck as I’ve found both of them in the sales this year. I’d go up a size in Barbour, to accomodate a chunky knit, and down a size in any Isabel Marant Etoile jackets or coats as they tend to come up big.
1. Hush contrast bomber jacket
2. Arket soft pile jacket
3. Barbour x Alexa Chung cotton waxed jacket
4. Isabel Marant Etoile check blazer
5. Mango check structured blazer
6. Lollys Laundry Andy dark navy jacket
BAGS & ACCESSORIES
Annoyingly the one designer handbag I’ve been hankering after has not gone in the sale (The apricot Mulberry Alexa, since you asked), but it does tend to be that the classic designs rarely get discounted. That said, there are still some great ones on offer. I’m particularly keen on the Zadig and Voltaire sale selection.
1. Mulberry small leather Bryn bag
2. Mango buckle leather bag
3. Zadig and Voltaire Le Mini ZV Initiale bag
4. Loewe small tri-tone leather puzzle bag
5. Coach leather cross-body camera bag
6. Honey and Toast leather saddle bag
All four of these coats have been featured on this blog in recent weeks and now they are all in the sale. My favourite is the lemon maxi coat from Albaray. I know it’s not suitable for this rainy, muddy weather we’ve been enjoying of late but let’s just gloss over that for now as it’s a great looking coat.
TOPS AND KNITWEAR
Good knitwear is another thing I look for in the sales. I’ve bought some great pieces from ME+EM in years gone by that still get good usage now. This year I’m VERY tempted with the Stuad rainbow cardigan as it would work just as well for chilly summer evenings as it will to brighten up cold murky days right now. *adds to basket*.
1. M&S Per Una cotton lace blouse
2. See by Chloe satin trim crepe blouse
3. Staud merino blend stripe cardigan
4. Baukjen zip stripe jumper
5. Acheval Pampa wool blend intarsia sweater
6. Mango button up jacquard cardigan
Thanks for reading this year. It’s been a pleasure as always to write these blogs and I hope you’ll continue to join me every Sunday in 2022. Although saying that, I may not be back this coming Sunday, as we’re all out of whack on the days right now, but definitely see you back here on the 9th if not before!
P.S. Here are some great beauty buys I found too.