Now, there’s nothing wrong with the classic Little Black Dress and heels for the works Christmas do but it’s just not really ‘me’. I tend to struggle with ‘Party’ dressing in general and go out and panic-buy something new, then wear it for one night only. There are a ton of dresses and heels relegated to the depths of my wardrobe only to surface when I have an eBay clear out. Also, I’ve never really felt comfortable in a high heel, I love the look of them, and all those little party dresses are made to be worn with one, but I can’t enjoy myself when my feet hurt and I’m worried about going arse-over-tit on the way to the bar. So to that end let’s look at some alternative ideas for festive dressing (although I will include some heels as I know a lot of people have mastered the art of wearing and walking in them.) This post contains quite a lot from & Other Stories but I am in no way sponsored by them, more’s the pity, I bloody wish I was sponsored as I would save a fortune. They just do the BEST party wear!
1. Velvet Suit. I love a suit, and this season I also love velvet. I know it’s not the sexiest of outfits maybe, (I’m WAY past wanting to be sexy anyway so that’s just fine) but it’s smart and dressy enough, plus you can wear any kind of flat shoe – even a trainer, but ideally ones with a bit of oomph!
2. Sparkly Skirt. I love a midi skirt, and for a party, the sparklier the better, you can team with a Rock T and an ankle boot and a leather jacket to act like you don’t give a toss, even if inside you really do (mainly about the quality of the canapés and what’s the earliest time you can leave without seeming rude…)
3. Maxi Dress and ballet flats. This is a prefect outfit for the lazy-arse who can’t be bothered to think about it too much. Get a sparkly long dress that will need no accessories, this won’t even require you to shave your legs, bonus! Add a simple pair of shoes. Job done!
4. Skinnies, sparkles and killer boots. Be like Kate Moss. She’s over 40 and she ALWAYS rocks this look. We’ll gloss over the fact she’s a supermodel for now. Yes, you can do it!
5. Statement Trousers. This is entirely inspired by these sequin trousers! just look at them. I WANT them!
Hope this has helped in some small way. I think I’m going to go Velvet suit for the work party, but I can’t get those sequin trousers out of my head. I never decide until the day, I’m very much a mood-dresser so I’m not great at pre-planning outfits. Let me know what you end up wearing and how you decided on it. Have fun!